Monday, May 16, 2011

WHY PHOTOSHOP IS GOOD FOR BIRD PHOBIAS

Photographer Cybele Malinowski shot this image - it makes me laugh and cringe at the same time. Anyone who knows me knows I am absolutely terrified of birds (it's called Ornithophobia). Anyway, here's how she put this shot together:


"I’m going to start with our last shot of the day first. Now, if you know Sydney, you know Coogee is the second most southern/distant beach in the eastern suburbs. I wanted seagulls and lots of them, for a take on Hitchcock’s eminent film Birds. One (unnamed) member of the band said there were ALWAYS THOUSANDS of seagulls at Coogee cricket fields, GUARANTEED. So, we went down there, the sun rapidly making its daily routine towards the horizon, time was ticking and we were after birds. Lots of them. So, there we were, for our last shot, exhausted, frustrated by Friday afternoon traffic, standing in Coogee cricket field. There were lots of big guys playing sport, and a couple mangy pigeons, not a seagull in sight. Moments later, the whole crew ran to the cliff tops, me at the front, cheering them all to hurry up, to beat the sunset, in a desperate search for seagulls. This was the most ambitious shot, and I was determined to make it happen. Groups of tourists watched on as 3 wonderfully dapper men screamed and squealed relentlessly at one or two stray seagulls diligently eating the bread crumbs we threw at them. My voice disappeared without a trace for an week, after laughing hysterically at this farcical scene. Once the job was done, and we had scared away all willing seagulls and tourists, it was a wrap. I shot some flying gulls down at the beach, and dropped them in post production. Ah photoshop. And ah Art Vs Science. Happy to risk my life and my voice anytime for you guys."

Image: Cybele Malinowski

No comments:

Post a Comment