Monday, April 25, 2011

GOOD ADVICE FOR AWKWARD TIMES

A couple of weeks ago, I was cc'ed in a large group email amongst some old friends I met about four years ago. As I was scrolling through all the responses, I was shocked to see that one of the comments (from an acquaintance) wasn't a very nice one.

Why is everyone being so polite? It's pretty obvious that X has put on weight, just be straight up! Haha just jokes...

I looked at the picture of X, who I thought looked pretty good. It's incredible to think that people think they can justify bullying with statements like 'Ha ha just jokes'. Or by saying "Loosen up! We're just having a bit of fun!". My response to that is, "Well your choice of jokes is pathetic. Get a new act." It is not okay to make little jokes about people's weight. EVER!

I started getting worked up, but knew it was pointless. I was about to reply in a heated moment, but decided against it and no one else replied anyway, (X included). I let my emotions slide and as I did, I began to feel sorry for the person who made that comment.

I flicked to a random page in my Deepak Chopra pocketbook which was sitting on my desk, and landed on the perfect page:

All problems contain the seeds of opportunity, and this awareness allows you to take the moment and transform it into a better situation.
   
If you do this, every upsetting situation becomes an opportunity for the creation of something new and beautiful; every tormentor or tyrant becomes your teacher. 

The relationships you have attracted in your life are precisely the ones you need at this moment; there is a hidden meaning behind all events that is serving your own evolution.
 
It was magic. Just what I needed to hear.

End note: anyone who continues to mock others and justify that they're doing it for a bit of fun is not worthy of your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment